Tuesday, November 1, 2011

we marveled at how the Lord works through us

I have a cold. But am doing great otherwise. I haven't read your emails yet.
Our schedule for today was flipped upside down. Because of Halloween President Bunker doesn’t want us out. So instead of working tonight we worked this morning. We’ll be having a zone meeting tonight. It’s going to be fun day. We’re going to carve pumpkins afterward!

We did have the baptism. It was great! The missionaries in the zone sent our messages and invites to their wards to let them know about he baptism. The YW room was almost full! It was great! Hermana Anderson and I with two elders; Elder Spendlove and Elder Brower, sang I Know That My Redeemer Lives in Spanish. It was really good. We’re thinking we might record it today on our cameras. I’m hoping we get the chance.

We’ve had some great lessons this week. We set another baptism date with a man who's been taught for a while. The spirit was really strong. We basically told him that he knows it's true and what he needs to do and if he doesn't get baptized it'll be a greater sin. In the beginning he said he wanted to wait until next year sometime. By the end, after much testifying and reading some scriptures he thought hard about it for a while, looked at a calendar, and then said, "How about the fourteenth? In three weeks?" We were filled with joy. On our way home we marveled at how the Lord works through us, 20 year olds that are weak and simple, to bring His children back to him. He uses us, his weakest tools/instruments, to bring about the greatest work possible. We’re just grateful to be a part of it and to watch the miracle of a life changed because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ.

My zone is amazing! I love the missionaries and am grateful to be serving around such fine missionaries. Elder Bringhurst, my zone leader in Santa Rosa transferred here with me. And I found out he served in Napa when Rorey went home. So he knows Rorey! He said he loved hearing his homecoming talk. He also said that Rorey went out a lot with them and was great to have in lessons. Apparently he helped and was a good influence on Elder Bringhurst. It was very fun to find out they know each other!

There’s a family we are teaching that the mother has a cake business (so we get along really well!) and she made a Halloween cake for a class she took. It was really cool! Then she gave it to us. It’s a lemon cake with pistachio custard filling. So good! She also made cupcakes to look like candy corn. She took different cake batters (yellow, orange, and white) and poured it in the cupcake tins. They were pretty neat looking and delicious. She also gave us the biggest, thickest, softest, and most delicious snicker doodles I’ve ever had! She spoils us to no end. The other week we had peach cobbler from her. And dinner with her is like eating at home. They’re the best family. We also got to serve them this past week with a few missionaries. They needed the garage emptied out so they could get the fridge in the back to the front so she could use it for her cake business. It was emptied, fridge moved, and everything replaced in an hour. With four elders helping, the job was done quickly. We all love it when we can put on our yellow [helping hands] shirts and serve someone.

We have zone conference tomorrow. I’m really looking forward to seeing President Bunker and all the mission office staff again. We have interviews following that too. It’s going to be a great couple of weeks, because we'll be going to the Sacramento Temple within the next couple weeks. We’re hoping to go as a whole zone.

I’m glad to hear Dad made it safely to and from Canada. The snowman sounds so fun! Right in front of Nana and Grampa’s door?! How do they get out? I love the idea that he is a ghost! How cute! I’m excited for Andrea! I’m glad she got housing! And she'll be babysitting a harp! How cool. Tell her I’ll be sending her a letter this week.
I can't believe you have snow!!! Crazy! I’m enjoying 70-degree weather at 10 in the morning! :) I keep forgetting it's October. That November is tomorrow is weird. I think I might be in a perpetual state of summer. Which is perfectly fine with me! I love the warm weather!

Well, I hope you're all staying warm and dry. Keep being amazing and having fun. I wish I could be so good with my ... I can't think of the word in English :) with my meals, that's it! I don't have much choice as far as dinner is concerned. Oh well. Breakfast and lunch are fine though. We’re eating fruits and veggies too. I am taking vitamins and staying away from sweets and dairy. We have almond milk at home.
Sorry if my emails today don't make much sense. I don't feel myself with my head cold. Hermana Anderson's went away quickly so I’m hoping mine does the same.
I love you all and love looking at your pictures every day on my dresser. Thanks Dad for your most recent letter. It really helped me. I’m learning who I am. What it is Heavenly Father wants me to be. It’s a crazy journey! And fun. And I’ve never been happier! Thank you for you support and love. I’m grateful I have a family that supports me.
LOVE YOU FOREVER AND ALWAYS,
Hermana Whitney
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment