Monday, November 14, 2011

Shouldn’t I feel whole and completely happy in the temple?

Can you believe that on Friday I’ll have been out 6 months! How amazing is that?! To me it doesn't seem that long, but I’m sure it seems like forever at home. I remember what it was like waiting for Andrea to come home. Some days were easier than others. But I was okay as I found things to do and filled my time with meaningful things.

Read Doctrine & Covenants 50:41. I love that scripture because it reminds me that I am a daughter of Heavenly Father and He will help me. There are so many times each day as I go up to someone to talk with them and I feel so nervous! But then I remember who I am and whom I serve. I don't have to worry about what I’m going to say because he will help me. Never mind that all He really wants me to say is that I know Jesus Christ lives and that as we follow Him we can have peace and happiness in our lives right now, and that we can live with our families again. All Heavenly Father wants us to do is be ourselves and bear our testimonies. There’s a quote in the little mother daughter flip-quote thing mom sent me that says, "Be yourself, who else is better qualified?" YOU'RE AMAZING! I talk about you all the time to the missionaries! I tell them how you’re such a great example of charity. They all think I’m charitable but it's because I learned it from you. Don't have fear but choose faith. Have faith in Christ that he can comfort you. I love you!

We have two baptisms scheduled for this week. Miracles are happening! Three baptisms in one transfer is amazing! We’re very blessed. All week we've been telling ourselves, "We're just workers in the vineyard. It’s not our work. The Lord is in charge. It will all work out." There have been many times when we've wanted to just cry or scream in frustration and worry. But we remembered who we work for and we were lifted up.

This week we had Elder C. Scott Grow visit for a half mission conference and then last night we had our area seventy, Elder Packer visit. Both were excellent. Elder Packer gave a fireside for the stake about how missionary work is changing. Basically we're getting the ward even more involved than before. We’ve been instructed to visit all the members on the ward list. Especially the less active, part member families, and recent converts. We’ve had some neat experiences already.

One morning a sister came with us to an appointment, but it fell through so we went with her to see some of the sisters on her visiting teaching list that she hadn't seen. At the first door the husband answered and was very nice and welcomed us back at another time. The second was where the miracle took place. As we pulled up we realized we had talked with this lady before. We had felt impressed at the time to talk with her and afterward felt it didn't do much. She didn't give any indication that she was a member. So we forgot about her until we went with Sister Davidson, then we remembered. So we knocked and the mother answered because the sister was sick. But as Sister Davidson (the sister with us) introduced herself the sister heard and asked, "Are you married to Steve Davidson?" She answered, “Yes.” And the sister said from inside the house, "He baptized me." They continued chatting for a minute and set up a time for Sister Davidson to come back. As we walked away Sister Davidson was so touched. She was moved to tears. It was amazing to see how before this sister was not receptive to us but as soon as she had a connection to Sister Davidson she was open. It’s so neat to see how the Lord works through his children to help his other children. We reported this to the Relief Society President and she was amazed too. Because she had no idea they had a connection. It just goes to show you that even in a seemingly "random" selection of who should visit who, it is not random at all. The Lord is very much a part of His work; the saving and exaltation of His children.

It’s so important to be happy. Hermana Anderson was looking at a picture of her family this morning and at one point turns to me, shows me a picture of her brother's wedding and says, "Look at these people. I love them. I get to spend eternity with them." My eyes almost filled with tears because I thought of you all and how grateful I am to know that we will spend eternity together. There isn't anyone else I would rather spend eternity with. I’m grateful for the ordinances of the temple. I remember sitting in the celestial room of the Sacramento temple and loving it. But I felt only a shell of what I could be. At first I was a little troubled by it. Shouldn’t I feel whole and completely happy in the temple? Then I realized that you weren't there. My family, my heaven, wasn't with me and therefore I wasn't whole or truly happy. I would rather be in the darkest, coldest, wettest abyss with all of you, than to be in the sun, warmth, and comfort without you. I compare it to premortal life. We lived as one great family. We were happy. But we knew there was something more and therefore we wanted to come to earth and gain bodies and have families, and to then grow and progress and return to Heavenly Father as families. Do we have that vision? Is that our goal? I think it is, but what are we doing today to achieve that? It comes down to the very small and simple things. Shall we not go on in such a great cause?!!!

I’m glad you like the blog entries. I’m trying to be better at updating it every week. Oh one more thing. Elder Packer said President and Sister Cook were at his house ten days ago!! How cool is that?! When he asked me where I was from he replied with, “What stake?" he then said, “Oh, I'm very good friends with your last stake president. We grew up together." It was so nice to meet someone who knows someone from home.

Hermana Anderson is great! I’m enjoying every moment with her!! My cold is gone. Friday morning was a little rough. I’ve had stomachaches off and on. Transfers are next week. Crazy how time flies.

I love you all! You’re amazing! I love every little thing I have that reminds me of you.
Forever and Always,
Hermana Whitney
over and out

No comments:

Post a Comment