Wednesday, March 7, 2012

My first earthquake.

There was an earthquake this morning. Kind of exciting! It woke us up. I was half asleep and unsure if I had actually felt it. It was kind of cool. My first earthquake. Elder Hansen said it was a 4.0 (at least that's what his dad said)

Another great week has flown by. We’ve found some new investigators and some are progressing really well. Our two baptismal dates as of yesterday are worrying us, but we're praying hard and constantly for them.

I realized something this morning. Those we teach are kind of like our children. I have no doubt you're always praying for us children. You’re constantly thinking of how to help us grow and become good people and examples of Christ. It’s what we do as missionaries. We are always thinking about those we teach, or come in contact with. We’re thinking about how we can better help them progress and feel the love of their Heavenly Father. So I guess this is just training for being a parent. Who knew that a mission is the best training to become a spouse and parent?! Obviously Heavenly Father or else I wouldn't be here. :)

So not this past week but the week before, we were invited to leadership training. We were surprised but found out that all the sisters were invited. Since December, maybe November about half of our sisters have gone home and we've received new ones, so Sister Bunker wanted to have a mini sister's conference. It was so good! We also got the opportunity to listen to the Bunker's son, Todd. He told us about his mission and what he classified as success. It was very uplifting and inspiring. It also helped me refocus and remember the important things.

Our new Mission President is President and Sister Alba from Georgia. He was actually born in Mexico. They seem pretty cool.

Yesterday we had a neat experience. As we talked with a young woman outside her house and gave her a copy of the Book of Mormon three guys about our age walked past. We didn't really think anything of it until about five minutes later they returned and commented that they heard our conversation and asked if we wouldn't mind if they joined in. We explained we were about to finish but they said they'd wait for their turn. We finished and turned to them. We explained who we are and a little about the unique message we share. They were actually from another church out "preaching the word." As we continued and explained about the restoration of the gospel their different responses were interesting. One was very outspoken and had read some anti-Mormon material so he brought that up and we told him that all we could do is invite him to study the Book of Mormon and pray to know if these things are true. Another politely listened and asked a question or two. But the third young man is what caught my attention. As we taught them about the Great Apostasy and then the Restoration and Joseph Smith's experience he listened intently. As we testified of the truthfulness of the gospel and bore our testimonies of answered prayer I saw within his eyes a yearning to know for himself, to receive a sure answer to his questions. When Hermana Osorio invited them to ponder and pray about the things we taught he immediately nodded his head and answered fervently, "yes."

I love how Heavenly Father places us in the path of his children who he has prepared to receive the gospel. It shows me that Heavenly Father loves each and every one of us. He is very much aware of us and our situations. He knows what we need and when we need it. I love how perfect His plan is!

We’re off to the beach today with our branch president and his wife. We’re so excited! It’s beautiful!

My health is good. Friday I was achy and had a sore throat. But I talked with the mission nurse and she took care of me. I’m doing better now. My head still hurts every once in a while. I’ll call her later to tell her.

Yes President Alba comes in July. It’ll be interesting having a new president. I’m kind of excited. Even though I’ll miss the Bunkers terribly. They are family. I just love them!

My scripture study is going great! I’ll have to write you about what I’ve been doing.
I hope Rachel and Rorey both get better soon. I love you all!
LOVE LOVE LOVE YOU ALL FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hermana Stephenson

No comments:

Post a Comment